Transitioning to the Cray XE6
Description: This course will help users transition from using the XT4 of Phase 2a to the XE6 of Phase 2b including getting the most out of the new Gemini Interconect.
The course will cover the following material:
- Intro to the XE6: the XE6 node architecture; esFS; the Gemini Interconnect; batch submission.
- MPI on the XE6: the differences between the XT4 and the XE6; advice and tips; environment variables; memory usage; an intro to MPI One-Sided Communication.
- Languages: a brief overview of methods that can work more efficiently on Gemini than the older SeaStar network, namely Co-Array Fortran, Unified Parallel C and SHMEM. Note that this course will be followed by a one day Co-Array Fortran Course.
- Good practice for the XE6: What's the best approach to get the most out of the XE6 and its Gemini Interconnect? Advice on the applicability of mixed-mode, job placement, threaded libraries and System V.
- Case Studies: We will show how some real codes perform on the XE6 and what work was done to achieve this.
Aimed at: HECToR XT4 and XT6 users who wish to update their basic knowledge for Gemini and the Cray XE6.
Prerequisites: Experience of writing and running parallel codes on the HECToR service.
Duration: 1 day of lectures.
After Course Attendees Will: be able aware of the new HECToR architecture and ready to get the most out of XE6.
Registration: To register for HECToR courses go to the booking form.